Chris Olsson is a Swedish artist and music maker. Lead singer and songwriter of the Swedish Grammy winning pop-act Fibes, Oh Fibes!, Olsson is finalising his first solo-album AYE AYE out on INGRID in 2015. The album is co-produced by David Axelsson (Milano Sun, Maja Francis) and involves collaborators such as Dot Allison (One Dove, Massive Attack), Christoffer Berg (Depeche Mode, the Knife), Hannes Netzell (G.O.O.D Music), Michael Angelo (Sam Smith), Pontus Winnberg (Miike Snow, Amason), Daniel Adams-Ray and Zoe Durrant. The music is described as “John Lennon on acid waking up from the dead in Manchester 1992.”
Sharing a studio space in Stockholm with Swedish artist collective INGRID (Lykke Li, Peter Bjorn and John, members of Miike Snow), Olsson started creating the sound and vision for his album in 2012. It was clear from the start that the foundation of the album was heavily influenced by the British pop and dance scene that he grew up with during the 90’s, with bands such as Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Jesus & Mary Chain and Spiritualized instantly characterizing the sound.
Over the past year, London has been Olsson’s second home. Working at Tileyard Studios (Mark Ronson, Basement Jaxx and Ella Eyre), a melting pot for the new generation of UK producers and artists, Olsson has written and produced for artists such as Charli XCX, Jacob Banks, and Tigger Da Author, in addition to working on his own album. Olsson’s lifelong obsession with gospel choirs peaked in the spring of 2015 at Guy Chamber’s Sleeper Sound Studios, where he got the chance to record a gospel choir including vocalists such as Vula Malinga (Basement Jaxx, Sam Smith), Adeleye Omotayo (Amy Whinehouse), Sam White (Florence & the Machine) and Eska Mtungwazi, adding the final touches to his debut album.
Inspired by Madchester grooves and house pianos from the past, the new beat- driven UK-sound (Jamie XX, Disclosure, Jungle), soulful melodies and Scandinavian pop, Chris Olsson has found his very own soundscape. Combining sampled beats with big choirs, beautiful melodies with distorted vocals, Olsson continues his grand quest to sound like nothing else that’s out there today.
- CHRIS OLSSON:
- • ”Thin Love” from the INGRID volume 2.1 collection, released on May 6 2015 (INGRID)
- • Debut single ”Hold On” ft. Mapei, released on June 14 (Universal)
- • Debut album AYE AYE will be released in 2016 (Universal)
- • Charli XCX – Sucker (Atlantic) – producer/songwriter on ”Body of My Own”
- • Tiggs (RCA) – currently writing/producing for new album
- • Mapei – currently writing/producing for new album
- • Rebecca & Fiona – currently writing/producing for new album
- • Miriam Bryant – currently writing/producing for new album
- • Oskar Linnros – Vilja Bli (Universal) – songwriter ”Från och med du” (#1 on Swedish single chart and most played song on Swedish radio in 2010)
- FIBES, OH FIBES!:
- • 4 album releases (last two produced by Pontus Winnberg)
• Swedish Grammy award winner ”Pop of the year” category for the album 1987 • Duets/ collaborations with e.g. Icona Pop, Kim Wilde, Gary Kemp
• The single “Love Child” was one of top 10 most played songs on Swedish radio